City Attempting Eminent Domain of Whelan Property
SEMO.net has confirmed that the City is filing for Eminent Domain of property at the corner of Westwood Blvd and Oak Grove Road owned by Robert and Robin Whelan which houses Robert Whelan Financial Services.
SEMO.net has already reported that one property near that intersection sold at a premium. Two more properties nearby have been purchased by the City:
(#1 in photo)
This leaves the Whelans’ Property (#4 in photo) as the sole, business property remaining along Oak Grove, all other lots are residences or empty. From a “business” perspective, it can be claimed that the Whelans’ property which faces the traffic flow into the city with 130 degrees of intersection frontage is THE most valuable property of the four being purchased.
Here is the info SEMO.net has pieced together:
- Months ago the City made a low $400,000 offer based on the appraisal for Whelans’ property
- Whelans aparently made a counter-offer in the $900s
- City purchased properties #1, #2 & #3 for a total of $2.6M
- City made no other offers to Whelans
- City notified Whelan that negotiations were over and planned to condemn the property and take it by Eminent Domain
Taking Whelans’ property by Eminent Domain after a pathetically low-ball offer SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN in our community especially since the city seems to be free-flowing money for other properties.
Also, two more potential Conflicts of Interest have reared their head:
- The City has tapped Terry McVey, husband of City Councilwoman Susan McVey, as their legal representation.
- The property appraisals are being performed by employees of the City’s Engineering firm: Smith & Co.
Isn’t it time for you to get involved and speak up?
Ward 1 –
Ronnie Hendrix 573-429-6542 Angela Pearson 573-300-2081
Ward 2 – Mayor Ed DeGaris 573-785-2064
Ward 3 – Betty Absheer 573-785-3285
Ward 4 – Johnny Brannum 573-429-4578
Ward 5 – Robert Smith 573-785-9656
At-Large – Lloyd Matthews 573-785-0296
At-Large – Susan McVey 573-785-1441